#1 Lumber & Hardware Store
Squier & Co. was founded by its namesake Arba Squier in 1874. Arba sold coal, hay, and grain – of which he did some milling. Wesley Squier, Arba’s son, took over the business shortly after his father’s passing in 1888. As legacy would have it, Robert Squier, Wesley’s son, further took over the business from his father when Wesley too passed away at a young age. Robert was responsible for introducing heating oil as a major product line into the Squier business, as well as various new building materials.
Frank B. Haley, then bought the company from Robert in 1942 and expanded its capacity of lumber and building materials, to serve the soldiers returning home from WWII. Frank B. Haley passed away in 1971, after which his son David B. Haley, took over Squier & Co. David’s sons, Kevin and Chris entered the business in the late 1980’s. It was in 1993 that the oil section of the business was split from the lumber side, operating as an independent and autonomous corporation to this day. We have since expanded the lumber business and, in particular, the hearth side devoted to wood pellets and stoves.
It has always been our mission to serve the needs of the community, and as those needs have changed with time, so too has our business transformed to adapt accordingly.
In the 147 years that Squier has been in business, we have supported the community by employing hundreds of valued community members, volunteering and donating to various local organisations, and providing consistent, convenient assistance with exemplary customer relations to all who place their faith in us. Here’s to the next 150 years!